Richard Neutra’s expert hand & design DNA are found all throughout this elegant retreat, with the structure connecting effortlessly to the natural landscape that surrounds it. Crestwood Hills is a Brentwood enclave of expressive architecture and its inspired homes have helped define mid-century architecture for 75 years. At the peak of desired Tigertail Road is the Sale Residence by Richard Neutra. With this superb example of the glass house program, you’ll find an immediate sense of place & scale that only the greatest architects of the time delivered. The peaceful setting encourages contemplation and relaxation even as the home provides a cinematic rush to the senses with iconic views that take you across lush canyons, deep into the endless blue of the Pacific Ocean over the to Palos Verdes & Catalina. Published & photographed but also rarely seen, the Sale Residence by Richard Neutra offers a rare opportunity to restore a work of art by one of the most gifted architects of the period. It is a place where enthusiasm to celebrate life manifests in full.
Richard Joseph Neutra (1892-1970)
Starting in the early 1920’s Richard Neutra was one of the first generations of modernist architects who moved away from the architecture of adornment to one committed to the needs, of all kinds of people, the use of new technology to make good design affordable and responsive to climate as well as integrating nature and the landscape into the built environment. He was born and educated in Vienna and was deeply influenced by proto-modernist architect Otto Wagner who had, in 1896 written the book “Modern Architecture.”
He met Frank Lloyd Wright at the funeral of Louis Sullivan and was offered a job with Wright where he and his wife Dione and son Frank stayed for half a year in 1924/25 on projects which were not ultimately constructed.
He then was invited to join Rudolf Schindler in Los Angeles. In 1927, the two submitted a proposal for the League of Nations which was featured in an exhibition of the Deutsche Werkbund along with those of Le Corbusier and Hannes Meyer. In Hollywood, they also completed a forty unit reinforced concrete garden balcony “Jardinette” apartment house in 1928-29. Dr. Philip Lovell, who had built several structures with Schindler asked Neutra to design a city residence and site for Leah Lovell’s progressive school which became known as the Lovell Health House. The design began in 1927 and the structure was completed in 1929.
– from Neutra.org