Frank Lloyd Wright, Architect The Winslow House, 1893

afs_winslow

As Frank Lloyd Wright’s first independent commission, the William Winslow House served as a radical change to the traditional styled houses in the Oak Park/Forest River area of Chicago. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, the Winslow House’s imposing facade consists of Roman brick on the first floor and ornamental textured terra cotta on the second floor. The first and second floor elevations of the house are clearly delineated by a central ridge line which adds additional volume to the overall feel of the design. With its broad, hipped roof line, the home predates Wright’s Prairie Style vernacular architecture which later dominated many of Wright’s commissions and of those who attempted to emulate the design. [read more]

Comments are closed.